How to Make a News App?
How to make a news app? This question is really crucial, for people have been interested in what is happening around them since the depths of unrecorded time. And if earlier the news used to come with a great delay, today the situation has changed completely, especially in the 21st century. Yes, the development of computer technology has made news available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Nowadays, to keep up-to-date, a person just needs a mobile device with an application that is constantly broadcasting latest news, and that's all. And this very person can become your potential user, therefore - a source of good income. We mean, it's time to make your own news app and get a share of the earnings. We have collected and analyzed our own experience and some open data and would like to provide you with a few pieces of advice. We believe that our tips will help you in this respect.
- Is there a demand?
- News app types
- Main leaders
- News Application Features
- How to develop a news app?
- Expert development services
We should start our discussion by analyzing the demand and supply conditions. Thus, statistics show that the issue of how to build a news app is definitely worth considering.
As you can see, the popularity of news applications has grown over the past year, and this is not the limit! So it is necessary to embrace an opportunity and think about the news app development.
As the statistics show, about 45% of users are ready to install paid news applications - therefore, this service can be an excellent source of your earnings.
But before proceeding to the next question, let's look at the types of news applications.
In fact, all news applications can be conditionally divided into two main groups.
#1. News aggregator
An application of this type collects various news about what is occurring in a city or country (maybe in a world). With a skillful approach and the right choice of the monetization method, this service can bring great financial benefits to its owner and help users follow events. After all, mobile devices got us hooked on different apps for good, we’re very fond of them! It means it's time to snatch this wonderful opportunity and figure out how to create a news app.
What content is relevant to a news application?
- Events of the city and the region. For example, exhibitions of agricultural products, regional fairs, city children's holidays, charitable events.
- General political events.
- Global events that arouse the interest of a wide range of users.
- Announcements of future concerts, exhibitions, musical evenings, the repertoire of theaters, etc.
- Weather in the city, region, country, and world.
#2. Applications of the news portal, or apps for making newspapers
It's another matter if you are the owner of a news informational source (such as a newspaper or a web resource, no matter). In this case, all the more you need to think about the magazine app development, that is, about the web and mobile versions of your news resource. For today, these are the inalienable conditions for your prosperity.
Why should news media resources know how to make a magazine app?
Understanding how to build a news app can help you (the news source owner) to achieve such goals as:
- Increase user engagement.
- Efficiency. News arrives at readers' devices immediately after placement, so no one will miss important events.
- Interactivity. The user himself decides which categories he is interested in and which notifications he is willing to receive. And a variety of media content in video, text, audio and photo formats is positively perceived by the audience.
- The growth of the audience. News app development leads to a possibility of reaching a wider audience of readers.
- Additional benefit. The ability to place targeted in-app ads contributes to the monetization of your service.
Factors to consider
If you want to know how to develop a news app of any type, you need to consider the following bullet points:
- The format of news applications. Such services can broadcast not only local regional news. Applications transmitting the latest news from the world of fashion, sports and healthy lifestyle, family, and relationships, psychology, hobbies, are also very relevant and in demand.
- The needs of the target audience of your mobile application. Your service should not just indifferently report news, its task is to answer people's questions and be interesting to users.
- Constant news update. You need to monitor both the relevance of the content published in the application and the authenticity of publications. It’s really important if you are planning a long-term project and want to make your own news app that will be in high demand.
- Using your advantage. Remember: everyone who decided to create a newspaper app, faces a dangerous rival - social media resources, for modern people often use them to keep track of events. However, you have one important advantage, and we strongly advise using it in your favor. We mean that special-purpose apps we’re talking about allow the user to control the process of reading news, and social networks cannot guarantee the same thing. As you understand, news can easily be lost in an abundance of information inherent in social media. Therefore, you have every chance to keep the reader - if you find the right approach to the news app development process. And don't worry, all the details on the best way to achieve this goal will be discussed later in the article.
If you want to know how to make a news app that will become truly competitive, you need to find out who belongs to the leaders of this market.
Feedly is a nice application that can be fully customized for your individual preferences. To do this, you need to find your favorite site using the search bar and add it to the list.
- Feedly uses an extensive media base which can be supplemented by any of your favorite sites.
- Any article from Feedly can be saved to Pocket for deferred reading.
- Google account is obligatory, this is the only way to access the service. Of course, such a mandatory condition displeases some of the users, and displeased users are not your purpose, right? So do not make the same mistake if you want to know how to create a news app, and a successful one!
- To read the entire article, you must go to the site.
#2. The New York Times
This is a great example of an application of the second type. The New York Times is a nationwide news encyclopedia that has its own language style and addresses not only to the "high society", but also to ordinary people. The USA press is almost unthinkable without The New York Times. So it is little wonder that this famous media giant has thought about developing its own news application.
This application sends out notifications about the latest news, offers daily tip sheets (made up by Times journalists), allows you to enjoy The Daily 360 (360 videos from Times reporters anywhere in the world), gives you a possibility to manage the reading process (for example, to save articles) and offers a lot of other useful features. Agree, there is much to learn!
In this case, there is no point in discussing the cons of the application. Each owner of such an information source should be wondering how to build a news app.
News360 gives you only those news that you really like. However, the app has one big disadvantage: the process of adding your news sources is implemented in an extremely uncomfortable way.
- The article can be saved for offline learning.
- Using the Local News button and the enabled geolocation feature, you can find out what's going on in your neighborhood.
- Similar sources cannot be grouped together.
- News cannot be ranked by novelty.
#4. NowThis News
The resourceful editors of this application transform the world news into short videos. Moreover, the news is presented in a playful form, it’s a kind of fun viral movies. Well, this service managed to have combined information and entertainment sources, so it should be treated with respect. Undoubtedly, this is a perfect example of successful news app development.
- Any video can be added to the saved videos section.
- All news is divided into several groups, and the most important ones fall into the Top Stories or in a separate section like Oscar Awards.
- All the videos are in non-stop mode, so you can enjoy the latest news deep into the night .
- Do not expect to use this application as a source of serious news. It's more about fun…
Having been engaged in analyzing world news for six years, Newsy creates on their basis short and intelligible reports for those people who hate reading long boring texts. By installing this application, a user can enjoy captivating video news that cute speakers are reading. Undoubtedly, Newsy knows how to develop news app that can interest a wide range of users!
- Excellent video quality.
- Viewing each news block takes no more than a couple of minutes.
- All the news is conveniently illustrated by videos, graphics, and clippings from newspapers.
- Among the sources are The New York Times, The Guardian, Fox News Channel, and other major media.
- News cannot be ranked.
- To watch the news, you need an Internet connection - they cannot be downloaded for deferred viewing.
This is the service of statistics of popular Google search queries, based on Google Trends and showing the most popular topics of the current period. This is ideal for those who do not dare to waste their time reading the news but want to be aware of the main news trends. Well, it's not such a bad idea to create a magazine app for very busy but still curious people!
- Minimalist design and nice animation.
- The ability to follow search queries in several countries.
- By clicking on the word, you can go to the results of this query in Google.
- The application does not display the number of requests and other statistics.
- The number of countries in the application is much smaller than in the browser analog.
This is the best solution for those who suffer from a lack of news and want to capture as much fresh information from all countries as possible. In this app, the world news is located on the map itself. To find out what is happening, for example, in China right now, it's enough to click on the news icon located on its territory. Easy, convenient, user-friendly! Agree, NewsMap owners have found the right approach to the news app development.
- The visualization of information on the map helps to the better associate news with source countries. This allows us to build a more understandable picture of the world.
- On the map, you can display news from the last 24 hours to 30 days.
- A small coverage area: the map is full of countries about which you will not find any news.
Let’s learn from mistakes!
If you want to clearly understand how to make a news app, you need to take into account the negative experience of competitors (so that you won’t follow the wrong lead). Namely:
- Provide different ways to register;
- Think of a positive user experience. It means:
- remember the rule of three taps: the fewer actions a user makes to get the desired result, the better;
- create the laconic interface and clear navigation system;
- offer many useful features (we’ll describe them below).
- Take advantage of machine learning technology which can help you learn the user's preferences. It means you’ll be able to predict your reader’s expectations and offer them the most interesting topics.
And now let's take up one of the most breach issues concerning news app development. In other words, we will thrash out a subject of the possible features of your information service.
- Check-in. Without this feature, almost any application is unimaginable, and the news one is no exception. We advise you to think over several options for registration in order to take into account all possible users preferences. Namely, provide the opportunity to register using…
- phone number;
- social networks;
- Google account;
- Personal profiles. Registration logically leads to the formation of a personal page which includes all the information about the user. If a person signs in by using social networks or Google account, this information is being taken from his profile. Otherwise, he will have to fill in the fields of the questionnaire on his own. You can take advantage of the data of personal pages in order to understand your consumer and offer him the content he really needs.
- Smart filtering. If you want to make your own news app, remember: all successful applications have a filtering of articles by rubrics. They can be sports, political, economic, etc. Also, the news is sorted according to the geolocation of the user (cities, regions, etc.). In addition, it is desirable to divide the news on such criteria as "Live news", "Breaking news", and "Most popular".
- Media sections. If you want to know how to create a news app with a high rating, provide the possibility of online broadcasting of TV and Radio channels.
- Push notification. The average user has many different applications installed. If you don't want your news app to get lost among them, take care of implementing a system of push notifications aimed to remind the user about your service from time to time.
- Social networks. Of course, your users will greatly appreciate the chance to share with friends some news and favorite articles on Facebook and other social media.
- Adding articles (news). This feature should be available only for the editor who will monitor the update of news content of the application.
- Saving articles. The feature that allows saving favorite news articles, too, would come in very handy. Users will really like this possibility you’re providing them with.
- Search feature. If you want to know how to build a news app that users approve, provide them with a search feature. Let them find on their own what they’re interested in.
- Offline option. We also advise you to provide users with access to the app content, even if there is no Internet connection. Offline mode will help attract those users who cannot always be online. This feature implementation is not difficult: just make sure that news is being stored in the app cache when the Internet connection is available, this simple forethought will provide offline access to app content at any time.
- Customizing program settings. It's time to take care of the user experience. One of the ways to make the interaction between the reader and your application as positive as possible is to allow the user to customize the app settings (by changing the size and color of the font, for example).
- Content feature. Quality content is an indispensable condition for the success of any news app development. It means that your information should be updated, exciting, not boring. So we recommend diversifying your app content by feeding information in different formats (in addition to articles). For example, try using…
- Infographics which is a popular and convenient way to transmit information. News can also be visualized, thus you will facilitate their perception by the reader.
- Video news. Recently, the video has been gaining incredible popularity. So, everyone who is looking for an answer to the question of how to develop a news app with the content of excellent quality should take advantage of a video resource. You can either convert regular news into short videos or search for ready-made taped news items: political debates, fragments of programs, etc.
- Audio format. People do not always have the opportunity to read articles or watch videos - for example, if they are driving a car. In these cases, drivers usually listen to radio or music... Therefore, news transformed into audio format and synchronized for offline playback can also be in high demand among users. Why not compete with music and radio services?
- VR. Of course, this feature is among the expensive ones. Alas, if you plan to start news app development by the creation of an MVP model, it will go beyond your budget. In that case, think about VR implementation in the future. Why? Because users will be delighted to get the opportunity not only to read about an important event (or watch a video) but to literally be present at the scene of the accident (hurricanes, protests, etc.) without risk to their own well-being. This will really improve the user experience.
Let's look at the news app development process in stages.
#1. The idea and Requirements
In fact, it's quite simple: if you are the owner of a news resource, you should think about magazine app development. Otherwise, your option is a news aggregator.
So, if you’re the owner of a news resource, think about following issues:
- Adaptation of your content to the application format. Not everything that is read well on the site pages or in the magazine, will be perceived on the screen of smartphones in the same way.
- Increasing Engagement Factor. People like to have fun, and they are using applications mainly for these purposes. Alas, the owners of news apps often provide too boring, dull content. Of course, news cannot (and should not) entertain users as online games do, but this does not mean that you can forget about the engagement factor. Above, we've described the ideal content feature - use our advice to create a diverse and exciting app content.
And now let's go into the question of how to create a news app of the first type (aggregator-like). Answer the following questions:
- What news will you post: city, regional, worldwide ones?
- Which thematic groups will you split the articles into? For example, business, economic, political, cultural news.
- Which platforms will your service be available for? To succeed, it’s not enough to find out how to create a news feed Android app, you should make your service available for different platforms (iOS, Android, Windows), for you have no idea which devices your users prefer.
- Find your source of news and make sure that it is a reliable and trustworthy. Take a pattern by the Newsy application which has media sources such as The New York Times, The Guardian, Fox News Channel and others of the sort.
Having formulated the main idea and the task of your service, you can make a more detailed list of requirements (that is, your app features). Without these requirements, the news app development, of course, is not possible. But do not worry! The experienced developers will be able to help you in this matter, so don't be afraid to overlook something important.
Nobody starts to ponder over the question of how to make a news app without the hope of high earnings. Therefore, you need to think about an effective monetization strategy. We suggest considering the following options:
- Advertising. If you are the owner of a news newspaper or magazine, you are facing advertising all the time. However, in-app ads are not the same as advertising on a website or, especially, in a paper edition. The in-app ad has its special format, namely:
- splash advertising when the application is launched;
- an unobtrusive ad unit constantly remaining on the screen;
- Paid Subscriptions. This is a very popular way to monetize the product of news app development. Of course, it's unreasonable to make the application completely paid (so you deprive yourself of a large number of users), just offer a paid service in addition to the free version. And a paid app should be ads-free and has expanded functionality.
- Events. This way of monetization will come in handy when your service has gained enough popularity among users. In this case, companies that organize full-dress social occasions will be happy to advertise their events with your help. The news application is a perfect choice for these purposes.
#3. Search for the developer company
The answer to the question "How to build a news app?" is well known to developers. So you should think of hiring the best of them first.
What experts do you need for news app development?
What should you focus on when choosing specialists?
- Experience. How long have they been working in the application market?
- Portfolio. Study examples of the company's work to make sure that its specialists cope with the task.
- A number of specialists. It is desirable that all the experts you need work in the company.
#4. Stages of news app development
Of course, you will not be involved in the news app development, but you should know which stages this process consists of.
- Drawing up a requirement specification and signing a contract. At this stage, you need to make up a clear list of requirements for your application. Be sure to document all your wishes, including an indication of each deadline.
- Prototyping. This stage includes the creation of wireframes of each app screen. Also, the user flow is being discussed in great detail.
- Creating UI / UX design. The qualitative design of the application implies:
- conformity with trends
- a simple and clear navigation system
- user-friendly interface
- Development. This is the very stage when mobile and backend developers start working. Their task is to write a clear and understandable code that will ensure the error-free operation of the service.
- Testing. Now the QA experts tackle the job: they check whether the application meets all the client's expectations.
- Release and support. At the last stage of news app development, the application is published in Google Play and App Store.
Hopefully, we’ve answered the question of how to develop a news app. And now it’s time to help you to find really skilled experts to bring your app idea to life.
If you are interested in how to create a news app able to be a reliable source of stable income, you should choose the right contractor in the first place. We're happy to offer our services, for developing applications for iPhone and Android is one of our priority activities. We have vast experience and can guarantee the most effective solutions for your business. Our portfolio serves as proof of professional skills and expertise of Agilie experts.
We know how to make a news app which will bring the maximum benefit to its owner. If you need qualified news app development, contact Agilie team, and you will get a high-level mobile product and open up new horizons for your business. Therefore, you will significantly increase your profit.
Ready to cooperate?