10 reasons why your hospital needs an app: hospital mobile app development tips
Healthcare services are in high demand at all times. And today health has even turned into a real trend that leads to the medical area becoming highly competitive. That's why every clinic willing to succeed should go with the tides and fully meet the latest clients’ expectations. This implies, among other things, mastering of IT mobile technology.
Yes, all modern hospitals and medical companies need their health apps. And if you're not among pacesetters, it's high time you ordered hospital mobile app development. In our article, we’ll try to ground this view more firmly.
- Reasons why your hospital needs an app
- Who needs the hospital mobile app development?
- Examples of existing hospital apps
- Hospital mobile app features
- Cost of hospital app development
- Ways to earn using hospital apps
- How to start developing hospital apps?
- Hospital app development
- We offer
So, why should your clinic have its own mobile app? We can provide at least 10 reasons for this need.
#1. More loyal customers.
A hospital app helps reduce the costs of retaining clients and positively affects customer loyalty. Undoubtedly, people are going to choose those clinics where they can get all the necessary information, make an appointment at the doctor or see the tests results anywhere and anytime.
#2. Improving efficiency.
All medical apps being integrated with a centralized database allow doctors to take a look at the patient's electronic medical record, see the results of the tests and make a new record in a very easy and comfortable way. With all this information at hand, a physician is able to have more patients at the same time giving each of them more attention, and therefore, to improve the quality of services.
#3. An excellent promotion tool.
Mobile apps can become an effective marketing tool. Use the push-notification system to inform users about news, promotions, special offers. This is the way to turn a one-time customer into the loyal one.
#4. Profitable financial investment.
Of course, the hospital app development cannot be classed among the cheap services, but this is the very case when the game is worth the candle. Such a financial investment will pay off a hundredfold and bring an additional influx of grateful clients, satisfied with the high level of your medical services.
#5. More productive management system.
Of course, the task of hospitals and medical institutions of any type is to treat patients, but internal organizational processes cannot be avoided anyway. And an inefficient management system often leads to a lower level of services provided. Fortunately, this problem can easily be solved by developing a hospital app. Its effectiveness is due to the fact that hospital management mobile apps allow to set clearer missions and monitor their successful implementation really quickly.
#6. The company reputation.
An app for a hospital is a great way to earn the reputation of a reliable modern medical company that offers its patients all the best.
#7. Correcting flaws.
If you want not only to earn but also maintain a good reputation, you’ll have to make some efforts. In particular, it is necessary to regularly "work on the mistakes". A mobile health app allows you to collect patient feedback and analyze user behavior. Having gotten this information, you can see your flaws and correct them in time.
#8. Successful competition.
Today almost every clinic has its own mobile healthcare app. So, not having one, you fail in this "competition" (and a struggle for a client IS a competition, isn't it?). And by the way, a mobile application, inter alia, is a good opportunity to attract the best specialists to your clinic who will appreciate your concern for their work comfort (see # 2).
#9. Convenient payment system.
Another important reason to build hospital apps is the payment system optimization. It is beneficial to both parties: both you and patients.
#10. Always at hand!
And, finally, there is another important bonus to develop a mobile app: iPhones and other similar devices are always at hand. Thus, we're increasing the number of points of contact with patients who are also your potential customers.
You should think about developing a hospital app if you are (so to speak) a…
- Medical center and private clinic
- Polyclinic and dispensary
- State hospital
- Laboratory and medical diagnostic center
- Sanatorium and rehabilitation center
- Dispensary and preventive center
- Private practitioners
- Reproductive, perinatal center and maternity hospital
- Plastic and aesthetic surgery
- Research Institute
- Psychologists and training
- Women's consultation
- Wellness center
- Surgical center
- Other medical institutions
Of course, there are ready-made medical apps solutions. They can not be considered the ideal response to your individual request, but it’s useful to understand what the modern application market offers before proceeding any further. This will help you navigate through the hospital app development process more successfully.
#1. Cerner, CareAware Connect
CareAware Connect is a great example of a mobile healthcare application for optimizing hospital processes. The program allows viewing data on the status and progress of patient treatment, enables using the barcode for drug management and provides other tools to improve the medical efficiency.
This is a medical app helping doctors to search for medical information and calculate different patient measurements. This app is almost free, but additional functionality requires extra costs (about $159.99 a year).
#3. DSS Inc.
DSS Inc., too, belongs to hospital management mobile apps. Coordinating the functioning of hospitals, it improves the effectiveness of patient treatment and reduces administrative costs. DSS offers a variety of tools that will be useful both in an emergency situation and for home healthcare.
Isabel is a diagnosis app for both iOS and Android platforms. Its database contains more than 6,000 disease symptoms and offers a lot of useful features for getting the right result. The app itself is free, but you have to pay a monthly subscription of $10.99 if you want to use its functionality properly.
Marbella is a mobile health service that can be used in clinics, hospitals, and other medical institution. This app allows representatives of the health system to monitor the status and condition of patients in the most convenient and simple way by using a smartphone.
Of course, you should understand that if you want to achieve a perfect and profitable result, you should build a hospital app for your specific requests. The service must exactly meet your needs, and therefore a ready-made solution is not your best option.
However, before you start looking for hospital app developers, you have to decide what exactly you want to get. Hence, it's time to think about such an issue as…
We hope we’ve explained to you why developing a mobile app is so important. Now let's see what features it can provide. Of course, the main functionality is being formed depending on the tasks set by the app owner but we can fantasize a little anyway.
#1. Interface language
This feature allows translating the program into any language convenient for you. In addition, you can work with several languages at once
#2. Patient medical records
A health app is an excellent opportunity to manage patient medical records. That's why hospital apps are so convenient both for patients and for doctors.
The mobile health program may include academic knowledge with a list of diagnoses divided into categories. This feature simplifies the treatment process by allowing doctors to save time and effort.
#4. Treatment protocols
This feature makes it possible to replenish the reserve of already drawn up and approved plans for the required examination and treatment. Again, this will be very useful for increasing the efficiency of doctors.
#5. Test results
Of course, medical apps allow storing all test results, and this is another advantage of hospital app development.
Adjusted filling of templates for patient examinations will help to optimize the work of all your specialists and get rid of paper documentation.
#7. Storing pictures
If you develop a mobile app that supports this feature, you will be able to attach pictures and any files to the patient history.
#8. Filling in forms
With this feature, any form may be defined as a template for filling. This is another way to simplify the process of interaction between the doctor and the patient.
#9. Booking an appointment with a doctor
Developing a hospital app with this feature will allow patients to avoid waiting in line. At any time, even at night, the user can take advantage of online booking system.
You can both implement the system of mass notifications (for example, informing your users about the news of the clinic), and set up sending of individual messages (for instance, a reminder of the appointment with a doctor).
#11. Online Chat
Due to this feature, the patient can contact the representatives of hospitals and medical institutions at any time and ask an urgent question online
#12. A voice message
A mobile health service that supports this feature can call a patient on behalf of your organization to voice any important information you want to communicate.
Among other things, hospital app development will help you to simplify the process of paying for your services by connecting discount cards.
#14. Calculation and Medicines records
For all services, you can configure the calculation feature for automation of supplies write-off process.
For example, the health app can support automatic and manual write-off of drugs. In addition, this mobile technology can tell you for how long medicine reserves will last. Definitely, this data will allow optimizing the system of purchases and storage.
#15. Analysis of patient behavior
When developing a mobile app, you can implement a feature that allows you to:
- monitor the growth of your customer base and attract new patients with the help of modern mobile health features;
- find out which days of the week hospitals and medical companies have the most patients (this will allow managing the workload of each department);
- analyze the patient leaving statistics because, in addition to good reasons to leave (I've been cured!), there are many other options (an unqualified doctor, overcharge prices, etc). This will help you avoid the outflow of patients.
In other words, medical apps with this feature implemented will help you attract new patients and keep the old ones, as well as monitor the effectiveness of each hospital department.
#16. Emergency calls
This feature implements a possibility of a one-touch call on the hotline of the medical center (EK for home visits or sick calls).
It is also useful to provide the hospital app with a feature that lists the full range of your medical services and gives you the opportunity to learn more about each one.
The best hospital mobile apps necessarily allow their audience to leave feedback on the work of the institution, such as the level of services provided or the competence of a particular specialist. Such comments can sometimes be unpleasant, but they allow correcting one’s strategy in time.
#19. List of specialists (doctors)
Of course, it is impossible to imagine a health app without a detailed description of the doctors, including their working hours, experience, skills, and regalia, as well as the opportunity to see free time for booking an appointment.
#20. Photo Gallery of Hospitals and Medical Institutions
We advise you also to provide the mobile health program with illustrations: medical center photos, images of the equipment used, pics of certificates, awards, licenses, etc.
This feature allows to not only learning the exact address of the medical center but also plotting the route in the hospital app itself.
#22. Debt management
A health app can also be supplemented with the report feature that shows which of the patients have not fully paid for the services rendered, or to whom of the supply contractors you still owe a debt.
#23. Analysis of advertising
Thanks to this feature, each of your marketing decisions will be taken into account and analyzed by the criterion of effectiveness.
This feature will allow you to get all the statistics on patients, services, and doctors for any convenient period of time in the form of visual reports
#25. Cost Control
With this feature, all financial movements will be under your full control. You can easily track what you spend the most money on (again, for any period of time).
Naturally, hospital apps can include any additional functionality, if required.
After compiling a list of the hospital mobile app features, you should determine what budget to prepare for their implementation.
As you understand, the process of developing a hospital app is a complex and multi-stage one, and therefore it is difficult to name the universal cost of services. But do not worry, we will provide detailed guidance on this matter anyway.
We’ve given you an extensive list of possible application features. It's clear that developing a mobile app that supports all of them would be a costly task. So we suggest that you think about creating the MVP model which will include minimal functionality. In the future, you can gradually expand it with additional features.
This approach to hospital app development is not only economical but also provides an opportunity to delight users with app updates from time to time.
The possible functionality of the MVP model (a short version of the extended list of features we've suggested above):
- Hospital apps for doctors:
- a structured navigation
- a list and information about preparations
- notifications of new drugs
- exchange of X-rays and analysis results
- patient medical records
- online chat with a patient
- interactive search
- video reviews of medicines
- means for the attending physician to monitor for patients
- a medical calculator for the rapid calculation of medical formulas
- Hospital apps for patients:
- remote record to the doctor with a few clicks.
- emergency call
- information medical reference books about medicines and illnesses
- special functionality for fitness, yoga
- a list of reminders about the use of drugs
- calculation of the drug dose (eg insulin)
- online chat with a doctor
- interactive search
- video reviews of medicines
- keeping a state of a health diary
- interactive location map
- General features:
- a list of all medical services provided by the hospital;
- promotions / discounts / news.
- user reviews.
- a list of specialists including a detailed description of doctors, their skills, and regalia.
- the image gallery. Photos of a medical center, its equipment, certificates, etc.
The implementation of these features will require much less time and, therefore, financial investments. In addition, if desired, even this list can be reduced.
Of course, the price of hospital mobile app development mainly depends on the rate of experts hired by you. It would seem that the higher the quality of work, the more money a specialist requires... but is it really so? Pricing turns out to be a much more complicated task.
What determines the rate of hospital app developers?
- Company Size. You're often forced to pay only for the promoted name and reputation of the company. And, of course, that the bigger the agency, the higher its monetary requests.
- Small companies (2-3 experts): you should pay about $50,000 - $150,000 to build a hospital app;
- Medium-sized agencies. You need to have from $200,000 to $500,000.
- Big mobile development companies. These experts will ask more than $500,000.
- Location. I think you will not be surprised that hospital app developers in America are taking more money for their work than those who are located in Eastern Europe. This is explained by the simple fact that the standard of living in the US is much higher than, for example, in Poland or Ukraine. However, this does not affect the quality of hospital app development.
- The US, from $ 150 per hour
- Western Europe, $ 80-180 per hour
- Eastern Europe, $ 25-80 per hour (in rare cases - about $ 100)
- India - $ 20-50 per hour
- Quality of services. This factor also plays a role in the pricing process, but it is not as important as one would expect.
We advise you to hire a medium-sized company with a location in Ukraine. This is the most optimal option which combines good quality and reasonable prices.
Of course, do not forget to evaluate the portfolio of potential mobile app development experts. Make sure that the company you are hiring has experience in creating applications and can meet all your needs.
Of course, the main task of mobile healthcare services is to give you a powerful marketing tool attracting new customers to your hospital and increasing the loyalty of regular patients. However, there are additional ways to earn on health apps. For example:
- Thematic advertising. If you manage to make your hospital mobile app popular, you will be able to invite external advertisers. Thematic ads (for example, drug advertising) can either appear when the app is being launched or be permanently present on the display (in specially designated places that do not irritate the user).
- Lite and Pro versions. In this case, it's quite simple: you provide a free lite version of the medical app and offer a subscription for those who want to get access to advanced functionality. You need to find really reasoned arguments to convince a user that additional features can make his treatment process easier.
- In-app purchases. You can also sell new features from the app directly. That is, a client uses your service for free but can make in-app purchases if he wants. Again, you should be very persuasive.
First of all, you need to answer the question of who you are: a medical center, a pharmacy, a community of doctors, etc. Then you should…
- determine who your customers are;
- look for a real problem of users (chronic disease, search for medicines, etc.);
- create a service that helps to solve this problem. It's really important! In the process of app development, you need to build on the user's problem, not your own wishes (this false step is often being made). And these problems are not always obvious at first sight. However, experienced hospital app developers will recommend you the right approach to the issue.
For example, you have a laboratory. Your clients are people who want to take tests. And this process requires a definite preparation, right? So you should give detailed recommendations.
The next step is meant to provide a user with the possibility to read the results and understand their essence: print, share with the doctor in one click, save in history. In addition, it'll be important to see a graph of the change in test results.
After thinking over the working scheme of your hospital app, you can compile a list of features that your service should have, and then start searching for the developer. Now you are ready to explain to him what exactly you expect to get as a result.
A typical pattern of developing mobile medical apps includes the following steps:
- Discussion + Agreement. As a rule, at this stage, developers are striking up an acquaintance with the client: all details of the hospital mobile app development are being discussed, a technical specification is being drawn up, a contract is being concluded.
- Design / interfaces / structure / navigation. Now it's time to create an appealing and easy-to-use UI/UX design including the app structure and all screens' interfaces.
- Mobile app development/testing. This is perhaps the most important stage of developing a hospital app. Experts should program the app logic, connect the server and database, and conduct thorough tests.
- The health app launch. Now you are ready to publish the application in Google Play, App Store or Web. You can supplement your mobile health program with icons and description and publish it with a clear conscience, for everything has been done, all the steps have been taken.
As you see, the hospital mobile app development is a really complex task. Don't cherish an illusion that you'll manage on your own, this is clearly not the case when saving money is needed. We strongly recommend that you hire experienced professionals.
In fact, we're willing to become your hospital app developers. Our team employs the most qualified experts deeply interested in their work. We have extensive practical experience and are ready to take up any challenge. Even more, we like challenging tasks!
- Prototyping. We develop prototypes of applications, relying on the best solutions in this field.
- Design. At the heart of our design are the high professionalism and the results of the latest UI / UX developments. You will get a unique design and beautiful and dynamic interfaces with unobtrusive smooth animation.
- Mobile app development. When creating applications, we apply the most advanced technologies for client and server development.
- Testing. The development process is accompanied by comprehensive testing, which identifies possible bugs and errors and helps to eliminate them in time.
- Support. If necessary, we provide technical and informational support for your projects.
One of the best hospital mobile apps able to bring your medical center to a very new level - that's what we promise you. Contact us, and we will prove our words by doing.