How to Make a Language Learning App Like Duolingo?
Today, when so many companies become international, it is very important to be at home with a foreign language. We are all aware of this fact. Therefore, while some of us are looking for ways of effective learning new languages, others are trying to find an optimal solution to this problem, in particular, by creating education mobile and web platforms. And the most successful services of this sort can also be very good sources of income for their owners, for example - Duolingo.
Do you want to take up the lead and make money on language apps? Then read this article! Our tips will help you understand how to make an app like Duolingo.
What is Duolingo?
Duolingo is a free platform for language learning and crowdsourcing translations.
The main advantage which this service provides is the opportunity to learn the language from scratch. The training programme is organized hierarchically and presented as a tree of achievements. Getting points for each learned lesson, students are moving from level to level (of course, such a transition is possible only when a certain number of points has been reached).
Let's now see how the best language learning apps work, that is, Duolingo alternatives.
How language learning apps work
To develop a language app like Duolingo, you should understand the operation of such programs. Let's figure it out!
So, what features must the language application include?
- The personal profile which contains all the information about the user and allows him to monitor his progress in training.
- Training exercises. Offer users the maximum number of different lessons designed to learn new words, read and translate text, train listening comprehension, etc.
- Video content. To develop a language application similar to Duolingo, one should provide the service with useful video content: music video, fragments of movies, etc... Of course, the presence of subtitles (and maybe translation) is mandatory!
- E-books. What can be better than the opportunity to read a book of your favorite authors in the original? Especially if the text is accompanied by useful hints and tips (such as translations of difficult phrases)? Of course, beginning students will not master this task, but those who want to further improve their level in learning languages will be grateful to you.
- Сhatbot. This is another useful feature inherent in learning app like Duolingo. The bot task is to answer basic user questions, for example, regarding the pronunciation of a specific word, etc. Besides, you can provide a user with the possibility to ask a bot to assess the pronunciation level of a phrase that he (or she) has recorded (and, if possible, to make a translation). For this, the speech translation function needs to be implemented, which can lead to increasing the project cost. But this approach also improves the UX factor of your language learning service. We guess it worth such additional expenses, right?
Do you still have doubts regarding the necessity to create a Duolingo clone? Well, we will try to convince you!
Why you should develop a language learning app
Let's look at the statistics on educational mobile platforms including language learning apps.
These data (obtained due to statista.com) show that it is profitable to invest in learning applications. The question that remains is why? What makes these educational platforms so popular?
Obviously, such services help users to effectively gain knowledge, for example, learn new languages. But why is it beneficial to app owners? Put it otherwise, why do you need to think about language app development?
If you do not take into account the altruistic desire to help people, the benefits are obvious, namely: you'll get an excellent source of permanent income! In fact, to earn this way, you should take advantage of any of the following methods:
- You can pattern by Duolingo which does not take money from students for using the platform. Instead, until 2017, Duolingo had used a business model based on crowdsourcing. In other words, students were invited to translate articles and vote for translations. The requests were coming from organizations that paid Duolingo for this kind of services.
- A good option is to provide Light and Pro versions of the language learning application (the second one should offer the expanded functionality). As the practice of many apps like Duolingo shows, a lot of users are happy to purchase a subscription (if your service is really efficient and the subscription is not too expensive).
- It is also reasonable to make the platform free, but offer some interesting paid features, for example - access to all videos and books, free use of bots for transition needs, etc.
And while you're thinking which way to earn you should choose, let's see how to create a language app, step by step.
How to make a language learning app like Duolingo
First of all, let's sort out what you need to take into account if you want to develop a Duolingo app.
- Convenient format. Give your users latitude when choosing an optimal way of training language skills, as Duolingo does it. Try to meet all possible needs: you’ll achieve this aim due to the content that should be as diverse as possible (video, audio, text, pictures, etc.).
- Integration of social networks. This feature simplifies the registration system and enables you to integrate user data from a social network (for example, FB). So, a user won’t lose his time answering the typical questions about his name, location, age and so on.
- Gamification. Training is traditionally associated with boredom - although it should not be boring! Mobile applications have long turned the language learning process into a kind of exciting game with a system of bonuses, incentives, achievements and the chance to compete with other users. Follow their example and add a game element to your Duolingo clone app!
- As clear as possible. Make sure that your service will be useful for the learner with any level of language knowledge. Provide your app with prompts and tips, create a chatbot, and if the bot has failed - allow the user to contact someone from the support team.
- Appealing design. It is very important that your language learning app be pleasant and convenient to use. This means that the interface design should be user-friendly, clean, without overloading with details. Of course, you cannot do without the help of UI / UX designers!
- iOS & Android. Since different users prefer different devices, you will have to make sure that your mobile service works correctly on both iOS and Android platforms. This will increase your language app development costs, but you have no other way to future successes.
As you understand, you will have to hire specialists to implement your idea of the language application. Here are briefly the steps that you should take:
- find the right format for your Duolingo language learning application, think through all the details.
- hire developers. We have already written about the best ways to find and a developer - use our tips to cooperate with experts of the extra-class.
- make a list of requirements for the language learning application. Let the developers tell you which of your ideas can be implemented technically and how much it will cost. This information will help you make up a list of app features.
- make a contract indicating all the deadlines. Note that the development process should have such stages as:
- Research aimed to find the best solution for your task.
- Prototyping that includes building the wireframes of each app screen and the detailed user flow.
- Design. Experts should create a clean and intuitive UI/UX design.
- Coding. It's the most difficult and important part of the language app development process
- Quality Assurance. The QA team conducts a set of app testing activities in order to ensure the high quality of the final product.
- Release and Support.
- take care of marketing support. While the development process is in progress, think about the advertising campaign. Definitely, it's not enough to make a language application, your task is to popularize and promote it!
We hope that our tips turned out to be useful, and now you understand how to make a language learning app. Striving to become even more useful, we offer you our services in app development. Contact us if you're interested in the high quality without overpaying.